Home >> Blog >> What if I’m Not Satisfied with My Workers Comp Doctor?

What if I’m Not Satisfied with My Workers Comp Doctor?

September 22, 2020By Niko Pothitakis

After a work accident, it can be difficult to recover from your injury. Everyone responds to injuries in different ways, and because of this, you may have some trouble getting the care you believe you need. In some cases, you may also feel unsatisfied with your workers comp doctor. Do you have options in this case? If you don’t get the right treatment and answers, you could be offered fewer benefits and even have to wait longer for them.

If you’re unhappy with your medical treatment, you may have options. Below are a few things you need to keep in mind when seeking a medical exam after your work-related accident. 

Who Chooses Your Workers Comp Doctor? 

When you’re seriously injured, your first instinct may be to turn to your usual doctor. They know your health record, and they may have better insight into your health. But your usual doctor may not be covered under your workers comp benefits. 

In Iowa, your employer gets to choose your doctor. Your employer is required to cover the expenses of the doctor they choose, rather than letting you choose your own doctor. While you’re not required to accept treatment from these doctors, your employer also isn’t required to cover the costs. But what if you’re not satisfied with your workers comp doctor? Luckily, your workers comp lawyer can help. 

Grounds for Choosing Your Own Doctor In Iowa

In some cases, you may be unhappy with the treatment you’ve gotten. For example, the doctor may have given you a lower impairment rating than you should receive. That means you may have to go back to work because the workers comp doctor said you were fine, even though you weren’t. That could lead to more pain and even a second injury. 

To avoid this, you and your workers comp lawyer may request a second opinion from your doctor of choice. Your employer may be required to cover these expenses, and it gives you a better chance to get a fair impairment rating and treatment. 

If you’re not sure how to request a second opinion, your workers compensation lawyer can help. They can help you communicate with your employer and their insurance company to get the treatment you deserve. 

Get the Right Doctor with a Workers Comp Lawyer’s Help 

If you’ve been injured in a work accident, you may have already spoken to your workers comp doctor. Unfortunately, you may also feel unsatisfied with them. So what happens if you’re not satisfied with your workers comp doctor? 

At Pothitakis Law Firm, PC, we understand how difficult it can be to get a fair impairment rating and seek the workers comp benefits you’re due. If you’re struggling to get the answers and assistance you need from your workers comp doctor, talk to a work compensation lawyer in Iowa who can help you get fair treatment.

Ready to get a second opinion? Start with a free legal consultation when you call 319-754-6400 or when you complete the online contact form below.